My Blog List

Monday, April 23, 2012

PROJECT: tree research


As part of my research I look at trees, because of the symbolism of a family tree. What I found was very interesting seeing as trees are very symbolic of many things. In history trees are symbolic of many things, good and evil, the tree of life and the tree of knowledge. Relating to family, trees also symbolise growth and life. I interpreted this in my own way, by believing that the growth of a tree can mean the growth of a family, growing together as a closer family. It also can show the circle of life in the way that new family members are born- the seeds of a tree, whilst others pass away- the leaves falling off the tree. i also found that individual trees represent different symbols. Holly for example meaning holy is a very religious symbolism associated with death and rebirth, it implies holiness and in connection with the family, it is said to help people who are suffering from the loss of a loved one. The oak tree represents courage, strength and fulfilment. The apple tree embodies youth, beauty and happiness and the palm tree is said to symbolize peace and opportunity. I found that trees can be symbolic in many ways yet trees are also apparent in common metaphors such as the Tree of Life and our ancestral heritage depicted in family trees.





No comments:

Post a Comment